Mark Hunnibell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 09:53:56 -0500
Bob:

> Is there a sub-routine for the WA.EXE module that will
> allow us to redirect to a different page than the one generated
> by the WA.EXE module after they have clicked the Join or Quit
> button?   Possibly a page existing on our web site, that says
> they have completed the task?
>
> I hope I have explained my question so that it makes sense...  and
> that this is the right forum for a question concerning the use of
> a CGI module.

I wrote a perl CGI front end to the "lcmdx" program (lcmdx that allows
"command line" interface with LISTSERV on a local or remote host). It's
a rather complex program because of what we are doing with it and it
also has some inherant insecurities which we can tolerate because the IP
traffic is local and there are no common user accounts on either system,
but it has been functioning well enough for us and avoids introducing
people to the more complex WA.EXE output. Using the form I wrote, people
can subscribe to one of several lists in different formats (including
the normal, INDEX, DIGEST, and HTML versions of the latter two).
Because of the way different e-mail clients handle the HTML INDEX and
DIGEST messages, I also have a button they can click on to see if they
can read and use the HTML version (it forges a sample HTML DIGEST for
them and sends it to them). They can also use the form to remove
themself from the list(s).

    http://www.lsoft.com/dead/devcorner/TCPGUI.HTML

The problem with exporting the solution I came up with to someone on the
outside is that the script I have prepared over-rides several safety
features of LISTSERV that prevent people from getting subscribed to
lists to which they did not ask to be subscribed. I have a generic
version of this program that I could send to you if you like but, as I
implied, it would likely be most useful on a private or low-visibility
list.

Mark Hunnibell