Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 Oct 1994 19:56:27 +0100
The only solution I can think of is either a gateway system that receives
the messages  and replaces the dash  with a colon,  or then the use  of a
DISTRIBUTE job to  bypass this nonsense. I realize  neither is practical,
but then there are always going to be mail systems where users don't have
full control over their subject field.  For instance, I know mail systems
that translate "Re:" to the local language before sending. LISTSERV can't
possibly know about all the national  variants of "Re:", and won't detect
the topic  properly in  this case either.  There are also  a lot  of mail
systems  where  the  subject  is  always  "INTER  OFFICE  MEMORANDUM"  or
equivalent, no matter what the user  types. Some categories of users just
don't  have  access to  their  subject  field  when sending  outside  the
organization.

  Eric