Dave Jackson UIOWA <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 Jun 1994 21:06:00 CST
    I am a new listowner with problems (likely you've heard it all before).
    My list operates off a package called Mail eXchanger on a vax system.
    The subscribers are receiving numerous "Receipt confirmation" messages
    such as the one below from other subscribers.  Naturally, they and I
    are getting very frustrated.

    Specific to the message below, I traced the "subject: pestcon" to the
    first message with that same subject.  It was from a subscriber who
    sent a "signoff" command to the entire list.  Things went all to heck
    after that, with multiple numbers of the same messages of receipt
    confirmations, but different subscribers, to everyone on the list.  All
    messages had the same subject confirmation "pestcon".  A similar
    situation occurred with the subject "woodpeckers" a few days ago, so it
    has happened before, but dozens of messages have gone through each day
    without this problem.

    Naturally, the subscribers are frustrated.  They like the list but not
    the clutter.  I thought initially it had to be a local node user, some
    e-mail package software, and everything but our Mail eXchanger software
    which is generating the messages.  Does anyone have some insight to
    this?

    (I have included the header which came with this particular message,
    but it is not the "standard" header from my list.  I'm sorry to bother
    you with an issue I should probably know how to solve already, but I
    took the plunge into starting this list with no knowledge of the actual
    workings of Mail eXchanger or other listserv software.)

>Warnings-To: <>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]

>Confirmation: message read at 13:42, 9 Jun 94
>Subject: pestcon
>Peter W. Gothro,  Division of Entomology, Dept. of P.S.E.S.,
>University of Idaho, Moscow, ID  83844-2339
>Voice:208/885-7916  Facs:208/885-7760

    Thank you for any responses!

    Dave Jackson, listowner - PESTCON