Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:02:35 -0400
Like Jim Lewis I had a list that was gatewayed to a newsgroup via American
University.  After our messages asking for a fix were ignored we too asked
that the link be severed and again were ignored. So we removed the
subscription we had for the American University gateway.  That prevents
anything posted on the newsgroup from being forwarded to the list but it
doesn't remove the newsgroup which still exists.  I monitor it and find
that it rarely receives anything; when it does the message falls into one
of two categories: spam and messages mistakenly addressed that were
intended for the AutocaD list (we are are AutocaT)

At this point I really would not recommend anyone gatewaying a list to a
newsgroup, at least not via American University, and that was the only
gateway I knew of.    The reason we felt the tie had to be cut was the
increasingly unreliable service.  Although the gateway was supposed to
be bi-directional and had worked well in the beginning when Jim Macintosh
was running it, after he left many messages posted to the list never
turned up on the newsgroup, while messages posted to the newgroup didn't
get to the list.  The newsgroup began to have an increasingly higher
proportion of spam to real messages.  All in all I felt that those
interested in library cataloging (the focus of my list) who depended on
the newsgroup for their information were being cheated.

Judith Hopkins, Listowner of Autocat
     My home page: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~ulcjh
     AUTOCAT home page:
     http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/units/cts/autocat/