Richard Childers <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 May 1992 10:27:21 PDT
>...................... One of these rules states that anything that is
>found between a '<' and a '>' is sacrosanct, not to be rewritten. How-
>-ever, given the nature of parsing mechanisms, a missing '<' or '>'
>can blow that whole scheme ... and this appears to be what happened.
>The mail administrator of the system needs to re-edit their configur-
>-ation file for their mailer ...

"But in the bounced mail I forwarded to lstown-l, there did not
 seem to be any missing angle brackets.  Each left angle bracket
 is "balanced" by a right angle bracket.  It is also curious to me
 that after managing a few lists for 4 years or so, I have seen
 this error message occur only a handful of times, and only with list
 mail addressed to someone at the internet node "loc.gov" --that is
 the Library of Congress, by the way."

I reiterate :

	"The mail administrator of the system needs to re-edit
	 their configuration file for their mailer ..."

"Which mail system configuration file needs attention?"

Probably loc.gov. As you yourself pointed out, the problem is unique to
mail going through that system.

-- richard

=====
-- richard childers		[log in to unmask]		1 415 506 2411
         oracle data center  --  unix systems & network administration

                   Klein flask for rent. Inquire within.