Jim Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:51:44 -0400
This seems most promising, but I'm not sure how to put it in.  I found
"Filter"  under access control in the configuration wizard, and this
information:
"If "Filter= Also..." is specified, your filter is used in addition to the
standard LISTSERV filter. This is useful to register additional looping
mailers, to prevent users behind broken gateways from subscribing until the
problem is addressed, or to ban anonymous posters."
It seems like "looping mailers" is the problem, but the document also
suggest Loopcheck=full is on as a default.
Could you elaborate on how and where to put int the content filter?  And
where the messages following it part of the filter, on the product of the
filter?

Jim Morgan

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:31:46 -0400, Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>At 16:35 6/22/2007 Friday, Jim Morgan wrote:
>>I've just had to set to nomail a subscriber when her "on vacation" message
>>started replying to ever message on one of my lists.  Is there any way in
>>the list configuration to block that type of message, or is there any advice
>>I can give the subscribers on how to avoid the problem at their end?
>
>I'm a fan of the MAILTPL content_filter template:

>Subject: Out of office
>Action: MODERATE OOO messages are not allowed on this list.
>Subject: Out of the office
>Action: MODERATE OOO messages are not allowed on this list.
>Subject::
>Action: MODERATE Please resubmit with a non-blank subject.
>Text: Out of office
>Action: MODERATE OOO messages are not allowed on this list.
>Text: Out of the office
>Action: MODERATE OOO messages are not allowed on this list.
>
>You'll still need to set to NOMAIL (and I would suggest adding NOPOST).
That way, when the individual returns, and attempts to send a nastygram to
the list, it won't be distributed.

>Then, you can dialog with him/her about auto-responses to lists and how
s/he should either get a better vacation program / configuration, or set
themselves to NOMAIL before they go.

>Having the subscriber in NOMAIL and NOPOST mode is an informal convention
you can establish with your co-list owners so that when you are not there,
and they do a QUERY listname FOR poster, that combo of SET options is the
tell-tale sign of previous delivery problems.