Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Jul 1992 14:50:13 EDT
On Thu, 23 Jul 1992 13:47:00 EDT Roger Burns said:
>then a subscription problem like John described might well be due to
>forgetfullness.  However, if the user address is more anonymous, such as
>[log in to unmask] then there could be this phenomenom of re-cycled computer
>accounts wherein the complainer in fact did not initiate the original
>subscription.

This may seem like a silly question,  but wouldn't it be easier to just close
fomer  employee's accounts  instead of  recycling them?  Having old  listserv
subscriptions  is  not a  major  problem  although  it  may be  considered  a
violation of the previous account owner's  privacy. The major problem is that
the new  employee would  have access  to the old  employee's tapes  and other
resources. A really  smart and devious employee could also  put hooks in your
system to allow  access to you system after his/her  employement ends. All in
all, it is easier  to close accounts and open new ones,  especially if you do
not run  vsam. Also,  ambigous account  names are passe.  Here at  Temple, we
let people  pick their account  names on our IBM  VM system and  Unix systems
with restrictions only to prevent profanity and conflicts with the system and
other users. Thanks to  a simple database, we are able  to generate a variety
of usage reports and do not rely on the names of accounts to do so.

    Stan Horwitz              |*|  STAN @ VM.TEMPLE.EDU
    IBM Electronic Mail       |*|  My opinions are my own and do not
    Applications Consultant   |*|  necessarily reflect those of my
    Temple University         |*|  employers or anyone else.