Vince Sabio <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 22:22:14 -0400
** Sometime around 19:13 -0400 9/17/98, Paul Wayper (DPI ISD) said:

>As for Review= Owner, I'm having this debate out on my own list-owner's
>list.  I don't like the idea, as it stops friendly people trying to
>find out who's on the list (and it stops you trying to find out what
>address you're using to subscribe to the list.  That can be a problem
>if you use the web address, as many of our people do).

Nope, I disagree -- it doesn't stop a friendly person from getting
that information. It merely slows the process a little, and keeps him
from accessing information that he -- friendly or otherwise -- doesn't
need to see.

The answer is that he needs to contact the list owner, and let the
owner track down the info and get back to him. Yes, it's a little more
work for list owners, but this is part and parcel of responsible list
ownership.

As someone who has all twelve of his mailing lists set to review=owner,
I can also vouch for the fact that legitimate user inquiries are VERY
rare -- requiring very little extra effort on the part of the list
owner, but providing, in return, a MUCH more secure list environment.

I have yet to hear a justification for permitting anyone other than
the list owner to access subscription lists in non-closed environments.

Vince Sabio            Boy & His Sabre: <http://www.insane.net/tsc/Vince/>
[log in to unmask]            Stop Internet Spam! <http://www.cauce.org/>

   Vince's Interior Decorating Tip #37 (collect the whole series!):
       "If it's not spaghetti, it doesn't belong on the wall."