Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 13:28:20 -0400
Poster:       "David W. Baker" <[log in to unmask]>

>   Considering how anyone with a Telnet client can create a better forgery
>than Fakemail (at least, when I checked that site awhile ago), I am amazed
>at the stir its causing. I suppose it's just a matter of naive computer

The only ones likely to be fooled are those whose mailers are set to chop
off all headers save From: (listname), to, cc:, and subject.  And we've
learned to be a bit wary of unlikely addresses, or likely addresses with
unlikely messages.

I sent a message from that site to an address that DOES retain the full
panoply of whence cometh whither goeth where visited in between, and,
although I can't recall if my own address showed up as the ultimately
guilty party, the true origin was readily discernible.  I rather suspect
the site has some sort of logger going on in case someone uses it for truly
nefarious or untoward purposes.

I'd love to know how having telnet can give one the ability to forge mail,
though.  Computer semi-literacy strikes again, I suppose.

>David W. Baker | [log in to unmask] | <URL:http://www.netspace.org/users/dwb/>

Mario Rups