Wed, 6 Jan 1993 16:47:00 EST
This is a long message about a topic that you may already be tired of.  I
am very curious abouth the issue of quotes and long signature files, but my
apologies to anyone inconvenienced by the discussion of a marginally relevant
topic.

Anthea Tillyer writes

>I don't think  there is any such thing  as a "good quote" for  a signature.
>In fact, it seems to  me that quotes and other extraneous  material have no
>place in a signature  "banner". To my mind, a  quote should either be the
>text of a posting, or left at home.

And several others express the same sentiment.  I like long signature files
when I'm reading other people's e-mail and I created a long signature file
that at least some of you would find hideous.  My gut reaction (and my wife
had the same reaction) is "if you don't like it, don't read it; it is at the
bottom of the message after all".

Since I'm a relatively new Internet user (though I'm hardly a beginner in
computing and e-mail systems), I'm willing to conform if I understand the
reasons.  Could I ask a few questions about this?

1.  Is the general objection based on aesthetic principles, or are there
practical reasons to dislike long signature files (e.g., many users pay for
their mail on a per line basis; long signature files make it harder to
create e-mail digests).

2.  Do all mail systems accurately represent my return address and does the
average Internet user know how to read the header files to know who sent the
message?

3.  Does the opinion about long signature files depend on the level and
sophistication of the end user?  For example, is this something that grows
tiresome after reading nine million quotes that try to be cute and clever?  Or
is the desire for short signature files consistent with a certain
programming style that emphasizes terseness (e.g., Unix and C)?  Do certain
lists (like this one) emphasize terseness?

4.  Is there concern about the potential for sexist or racist comments?

5.  Does a long signature file worsen the problem of e-mail overload?  Should
I strive for e-mail messages that fit in a 25 line screen?

6.  Why are you objecting to something that I had taken as institutionalized
in the Internet world?  Does half of the Internet world irritate the other
half with their quotes?

Please send comments directly to me, since the topic is not relevant to this
list.  If anyone is interested in a summary, let me know.

Close your eyes if you hate long signature files!  ;-)

*  Steve Simon, Mail Stop C-22          *  Delivering on the  *
*  Chief, Statistics Activity           *  nation's promise:  *
*  National Institute for Occupational  *  safety and health  *
*    Safety and Health                  *  at work for all    *
*  4676 Columbia Parkway                *  people...through   *
*  Cincinnati, OH 45226                 *  prevention.        *
*  513-533-8271 (office)                *  NIOSH vision       *
*  513-533-8510 (FAX)                   *  statement          *
*  SMTP gateway to Internet                                   *
*  X400 gateway to Internet                                   *
*  Views expressed here are my own.  Mention of a product or  *
*  company name does not constitute an endorsement by NIOSH.  *