Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 5 Jul 1997 08:13:43 -0400
At 13:13 7/4/97 -0400, you wrote:
|I thought there was a SPLIT option when getting log files. Juno users, as
|many of you know, can't receive messages larger than 60K. I've searched
|through both the REFCARD and the LISTOWNR MEMO and can't find a mention of
|this. What is the syntax, or where is it documented?

I found it via a WEB Search of the lstown-l archives:

http://eva.dc.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?S2=lstown-l&q=%27split%3D%27&s=&f=eri
c@&a=&b=

http://eva.dc.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind9312&L=lstown-l&P=R1092

* Usability: New "SPLIT=" command line keyword *

The new  "SPLIT=" command line  keyword can  be used when  ordering large
files  via electronic  mail  throught networks  or  gateways that  reject
messages larger  than a certain  size (typically 100  kilobytes, although
certain PC mail products  have limits as low as 20k).  It is not normally
needed when ordering files via BITNET.

When present,  the SPLIT=  keyword requests  that the file  be sent  as a
multi-part MIME message  with the specified maximum  size (in kilobytes).
For  instance, "GET  XYZ.ZIP  SPLIT=100" requests  delivery  of the  file
called XYZ.ZIP  in messages of  100k or less.  The minimum value  for the
SPLIT= keyword  is 20  kilobytes, mostly  to avoid  bad surprises  if you
mistype the number and forget a zero.

It is important not to confuse the SPLIT=nnn keyword with delivery format
specifications, such  as F=NETDATA or  F=MIME/APPL. The F=  keyword tells
LISTSERV what format to use when sending the file to you (uuencode, MIME,
one of the BITNET formats, etc). The SPLIT= keyword instructs LISTSERV to
further cut the file into a number of smaller pieces before sending it to
you; it does not replace but rather  adds to the F= keyword. However, the
SPLIT=nnn  option is  valid  only for  mail  delivery formats:  UUENCODE,
XXENCODE, MIME/TEXT, MIME/APPL and of  course MAIL. If you specify SPLIT=
without selecting a file format, F=MAIL is assumed.

The MIME  multipart format was  chosen because it is  straightforward and
reasonably  intuitive to  a  human  reader: people  without  a MIME  user
interface are not being sacrificed to a "chosen few".