"Mark R. Williamson" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 13:59:14 -0500
At 10:09 AM -0500 10/13/96, Ben Parker wrote:
>On Sun, 13 Oct 1996 07:38:18 +0000, Gary Klass
><[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> It would be convenient if
>>the listserv provided a mailto: link back to the original sender for each
>>message on the list.
>
>An underlying assumption here is that one is using a web browser as their
>mailer program.  A mailto: link would only be useful there.

As a counter-example, the mail program Eudora Pro can use mailto: URLs
directly (and will launch other programs for other types of URLs).

>Using a full featured mail program, especially one that is capable of
>'bursting' digests back into individual msgs, would be easier than asking
>for LISTSERV(tm) to make changes useful only to a few people.

There can be reasons why the recipient might not want the digests burst
(e.g. if the bursting is irreversible or clutters the disk with separate
files).

That said, I'm still not sure I care for the original suggestion.

Mark R. Williamson