Mike Holloway <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 10 May 1997 16:10:45 -0400
My list's messages are being accepted by AOL, but confirmation request
messages are being bounced, meaning that no one can subscribe.

Date: Sat, 10 May 97 13:59:08 EDT
From: <[log in to unmask]>
To: <@WUVMD.WUSTL.EDU:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Undeliverable Mail

pucc.PRINCETON.EDU unable to deliver following mail to recipient(s):
pucc.PRINCETON.EDU received negative reply:
553 <@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU,@WUVMD.WUSTL.EDU:[log in to unmask]>... Source
 routed envelope sender rejected (See RFC 822, section 6.2.7)

I assume this is the same problem that's been under discussion, but because
it's been directed solely at sysadmins, and not listowners (what's the name
of this list again?) I have no clear idea of what to do about it.  Is there
a way the WU listmanager can reconfigure confirmation request messages so
that they are accepted in the same way that the WU list messages are, or
would a change have to be made at Princeton?  LISTSERV distribution at WU
is, at long last, almost ready to leave Bitnet.  Is there a way of
determining if this AOL change is going to screw us?

So far, it appears as though AOL has told everyone to stuff it, and Eric ...
well, it's predictable.  He's not going to do something because AOL, or
anyone else for that matter, told him to.  I don't believe the response from
AOL has been in the best interests of their customers.  Is there a good
contact someone can suggest for AOL subscribers of LISTSERV lists to
complain to?

Mike Holloway            |* On average, 9 people a day on the waiting list
[log in to unmask]  |  for a transplant die for lack of a donor.
_________________________|* The end-stage diseases treated by transplant
  do not recognize age, race, nationality or pocketbook.
* There is no justifiable reason to deny organ donation, but many myths and
misunderstandings.
* Next of kin must allow donation.  Your family must know your wishes.
* Only a small fraction of the next of kin of potential donors allow
  donation to take place.
* In general, medical professionals do not recognize their obligation to
  support and promote donation.
Questions? See FAQ:
http://www.lib.ox.ac.uk/internet/news/faq/bit.listserv.transplant.html or
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/bit.listserv.transplant/