Bill Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 Jul 1993 17:39:40 CST
On Thu, 8 Jul 1993 23:07:22 -0400, Roger Burns <[log in to unmask]> said:
>        The peculiar thing is that I get this returned bounce if and only
>if I am the sender (I just happen to be the list-owner);  I'd think that
>if this were happening to everyone that posts that I'd see a copy from
>everyone's posts, not just mine.

If I had to guess, I'd say the bounce is being returned to the RFC822
From: address, rather than the SMTP MAIL FROM: address.  That's why you
only see it when you're the poster.  I'd bet the other postings are
being bounced, but not to you.

>                             And to complete the mystery, there's no
>obvious reference as to which subsribers' address this was originally sent
>to.

I requested a REVIEW of CFS-L@NIHLIST and submitted the resultant
subscriber list (non-concealed only, obviously) in a dummy DIST job
to my listserv.  (The job I used is included below.  You probably
want to send it to LISTSERV@NIHLIST to make use of *its* DIST tables.)

According to my LISTSERV, the only subscribers that would have been
processed by INDYCMS are:

[log in to unmask]       Beki Brindle-DeMyer
DDRAKE@INDYCMS                           Dale Drake
IMSD100@INDYCMS                          cathy l clark
NBRINDLE@INDYCMS                         Nathan Brindle
[log in to unmask]                 Marion Krefeldt

You could either set them to NOMAIL, or, if you're conscientious, you
could send them each some mail explaining the situation.  The address
that gets rejected is the Bad Guy.  That's the only way I know of to
get the list any smaller than this.

>Can anyone make sense of this?  Thanks for any attempts!

That's the best *I* could do.  Maybe someone else has a better suggestion.
Bill
>-- Roger Burns
//Test JOB
Distribute mail Ack=mail Debug=yes