Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:37:52 -0600
> I have several WebTV users on the list I manage (yes, amazingly enough,
> WebTV still exists).  One of them has been e-mailing me persistently
> over the last few weeks, complaining that he isn't getting any mail from
> the list.  He says the problem started after he got a probe message.
>
> His subscription looks fine to me (not set to nomail or anything like
> that).  His address has never shown up on the daily error report.  One
> of the other WebTV people did turn up on the error report last week, but
> just once.
>
> He has continued e-mailing me, demanding that I "do something."  He
> says that the WebTV people say everything's fine and therefore the
> problem must be at my end.
>
> Any suggestions?  Has anyone else had a problem with WebTV
> subscribers?

I haven't any experience with WebTV, but here's a suggestion: If the problem
started with a probe, then maybe something changed at that point, either as
a result of what he did with it or what his provider did with it. I suspect
a filter got created somewhere.

Problems which show up only as a stoppage of list email, for a particular
subscriber, are typically the result of filtering. I have no idea whether a
WebTV user has access to filtered mail, or can reconfigure to gain such
access. But if you can't see a problem at your end, he should at least take
your word as equal in value to his provider's finger-pointing.

No legitimate analyst will say "everything is fine"; the correct response is
"I can't find anything--yet!" (and maybe an offer to get in touch directly
with the person at the other end).

Hal Keen