"J. R. Lankford" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 09:47:02 -0600
>Question number one:  Obviously, you folks have opted to run your own
>lists.  Could some of you explain why you decided to do so, rather than
>hiring one of the list hosts that are available?

Hire?  Like in pay someone to do something I enjoy so much?

It's also important to realize that the one who runs the list creates the
list culture.  I run a writing list and since I don't like gratuitious
cussing, flames, insults, or chatting away about nonsense, everyone on my
list is polite to everyone else and nobody goes off topic for long ...
they're too busy working and learning.  So if you hire someone to run your
list, realize it won't be your list but his/hers.

 My guess is that it has
>something to do with money and probably also with more precise control of
>your list.  I also suspect that for some of you there's a hobby value.

Right on all counts for me.

>I'm also curious why you've opted not to go with Majordomo or one of the
>others.

Majordomo isn't as good as listserv.

>What advice do you have for someone wanting to start a list when he doesn't
>know beans about it?  Forget it?

My advice?  Grab the listowner's manual and read from beginning to end.  If
you're still interested after doing that, jump right in.

Jilla