Tom Trimble <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 00:19:45 -0700
>Date:    Sat, 1 Sep 2001 14:52:21 -0400
>From:    John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Can use Of Registered Name Be Forced!
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >          Our list requires members to use their "real name" as part of
> > professional communications and to discourage flaming etc.  We use:
> > Subscription= owner,confirm
> > Review= Owner
> > Notify= yes
>
>By having Review= Owner,  no one can see anyone's registered name except
>you. Any names shown on list messages come from the From: field of the
>message and has nothing to do with the subscribed name in LISTSERV.
>LISTSERV only checks the address to determine if the person is a
>subscriber, then allows the post.

*****This seems true; posting is alllowed  correctly; but if their own
e-mail client shows a different "From" line, that is what is displayed.

*****I agree, and this is obviously unenforceable and overbearing.

>Since you have Subscription= owner, you receive all requests and you have
>control over the name that goes in LISTSERV's database. If you don't like
>what they sent, you write them and have them tell you their real name. But
>this only keeps the database correct, not the posts.

*****I subscribe new members with "may not post without approval" and send
a message explaining our policies, again (it's in the "Welcome", of course,
and correct the database and increase privileges with their reply.

> >          Is there a way to have the server "correct" the name to the
> > registered name?
>
>No.

*****So it seems; thanks!

                 Sincerely,