Sat, 12 Sep 1998 02:54:48 -0500
On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Craig Gjerde wrote:
> I think it IS appropriate to inquire about the ethical nature of the tasks
> you are assisting in. I also wanted clarification about the "informed"
> consent in obtaining the names.

As will be no surprise to anyone I cannot but agree.

As anyone who knows me can say, I give freely of what knowledge I have.
I learned from others with the understanding that I would pass it on.
However, I have been burned by that in this new commercial era and have
unwittingly helped to set up highly coercive/manipulative lists.
That I did this with naive trust that all listowners have honorable goals
does not ameliorate the shame and guilt for having furthered such schemes.

Excuse the language, please, but you're damn right I've learned to
ask questions, gauged to reveal the person's intent.  They are questions
and nothing but questions.

Douglas