"Helge R. Olesen" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 07:42:46 -0400
Web archive: How does one get rid of the LONG list of monthly logs while
retaining some of its functionality?

[Note: the URL's below may be wrapped over two lines and should be joined
before being used]

In the template for my main list archive screen (
http://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/atmosphericdispersion.html ) I have
removed the code
.DD &DD
in order to avoid the terribly long listing of monthly logs (which in my
case goes back to 1995).
Of course I have retained the search function, and further added an HTML
statement so that the user can easily get a listing of the postings of the
past six months. I achieved this by adding the HTML code for a search going
180 days back:

http://listserv.surfnet.nl/scripts/wa.exe?
S2=atmosphericdispersion&q=&s=&f=&a=today-180&b=

(if anybody reuses this idea, then note that in the template the ampersands
must be written twice, thus
S2=atmosphericdispersion&&q=&&s=&&f=&&a=today-180&&b=">View the messages of
the last six months</a>
)

This works, but I am not quite satisfied.
The problem is that the listing resulting from the above search is not very
neat: the oldest messages appear on top, and the user cannot manipulate the
list, such as sort it by topic or display author names.
This functionality is provided by the standard template (A1-MAIN) which is
used when monthly listings are displayed. A HTML statement for achieving
this behaviour is
http://listserv.surfnet.nl/scripts/wa.exe?
A1=ind0107&L=atmosphericdispersion&D=0

 I would like somehow to combine the behaviour of the A1-MAIN template with
the outcome of the 180-day search. For this I need to know more about the
syntax of WA.EXE. How does it interact with the templates?

Can anybody help?

           Helge R. Olesen
           Department of Atmospheric Environment
           National Environmental Research Institute
           P.O. Box 358
           DK-4000 Roskilde
           Denmark
           Tel. +45 46 30 12 00 (switchboard)