Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Jan 1995 20:35:54 +0100
On Tue, 10 Jan 1995 14:03:01 EST Kent Fiala <[log in to unmask]> said:

>That's not  true, such  a capability  has been  provided by  CMS Session
>Services since VM/SP Release 5.

Well, I've  never had  the patience  to learn  the CMS  fullscreen stuff.
Anyway, if you're  willing to write 89  lines of code to  hide a password
you can do it even without release  5, using XEDIT and SET RESERVED. What
I meant is that  I don't know of any standard command  that does a LINERD
TYPE=INVISIBLE (I'm still at CMS8, so this might have been remedied since
then). When  I wrote LSVPUT  in 1986, I thought  of just making  one, but
everyone seemed to have DIRMAINT and  it seemed simpler for the users not
to require EXEC + MODULE. I also figured IBM would eventually provide the
capability. I hadn't  yet learned that, if something makes  sense, IBM is
bound to avoid doing it like the plague ;-)

  Eric