W Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 08:55:27 -0330

> > From:   William Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
>
> LISTSERV will take the "name" in whatever format the subcriber gives,
> and that is the "name" listserv uses.  As to correcting the "name"
> for distribution, Eric knows best about that.  However, things like
> Winship, Douglas
> <Douglas Winship>
> (Douglas winship)
> Douglas Winship [log in to unmask]
> etc.

I approve all subscriptions, and I make sure the names are in a standard
format and order (first name, initial, last name) before approving the
subscription, so that the subscriber list will sort properly.  The problem
I described concerns what goes in the From: line, and that is determined
by SMTP protocols, as Eric noted last night.  I am putting together a
perl script that will standardize that as well;  or rather, I have a
student who is doing it for me.

Thanks for all the responses.

Bill

--
Dr. W. Schipper                     Email: [log in to unmask]
Department of English,              Tel: 709-737-4406