Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:54:08 -0500
> BTW, if you want to really be strict about it, you want
> Reply-To=Sender,Ignore (rather than Respect).

I don't know that that constitutes being "strict"; it does change what
happens (if, as has already been mentioned, the mail client used by the
person who hits Reply is able to handle the Reply-To: header field
properly).

In either case, LISTSERV is setting the Reply-To: field. The difference is
that coding Respect means it is set according to the Reply-To: field in the
mail as submitted to LISTSERV. Otherwise, it will use the From: header
field.

Right off the top of my head, I can't think of a reasonable case for using
Sender without using Respect; it's a case where the originator should be
entitled to pick where the replies go. But it is true that it opens the
possibility of the originator sending a post with Reply-To: set to the list
address. That might actually be useful sometimes--or it could mean that the
undertow of Out-Of-Office replies that normally constitute a minor hazard of
posting get redirected to the whole list (depending on whether they are
properly filtered).

And if you can't trust the other people on a list to behave appropriately,
you're best advised to abandon the list. There's a limit to the amount of
control you can wield.

Hal Keen