Alex Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 22:57:48 EDT
On Wed, 19 Apr 1995 10:00:27 -0500 dienes bruce p a said:
>I just switched one of my lists over to Subscribe= By_Owner.  For some
>reason, everyone who requests a subscription is getting a copy of the
>message to the administrator (below), whcih is completely confusing
>them.  Many have written asking how they get their password (referring to
>the instuctions from listserv to me to add the password after the ADD
>command.  Is this a bug or a feature?  (Or is there a difference :-)

It's a feature.  :)  The message is addressed to you, and the person
requesting they be subscribed is just being cc'ed as a courtesy.
Problem is, many people aren't savvy enough about mail headers to
figure that out, or else their mail program doesn't even show them
the headers.

>How can I turn of the cc:'s on this.  Shouldn't they just be getting a
>"Your request for sunscription has been fowarded to..." etc.???

IMHO, there's a better way to handle this.  Your list is located
on LISTSERV@UIUCVMD, which is running version 1.8a of the LISTSERV
software.  This means that you're able to utilize a MAILTPL file.

The administrative message you're referring to can now be completely
controlled by the list owner.  It's worded the way it is now for your
benefit.  But if you add people on a regular basis, we all know you're
going to learn the ADD command pretty quickly and don't need any
prompting.

Send [log in to unmask] the command:

GET DEFAULT MAILTPL

and you'll be sent a copy of the file containing all the administrative
messages you can now customize (without continued assistance of any of
your LISTSERV maintainers).  The various messages in this one file are
delimited by lines beginning with three greater-than signs (>>>).  When
such a line appears, it's the first line of the next message.  When you
get the DEFAULT MAILTPL, rename your copy of it RC-LIST MAILTPL and
then customize it to your heart's desire.

With regards to your present concern, here's the section you're going
to want to modify:

--- Begin ---
>>> ADDREQ1 &LISTNAME: &WHOM requested to join
&WEEKDAY, &DATE &TIME

A request for subscription to the &LISTNAME list (&TITLE) has been
received from &MBX(&WHOM).

You can, at your discretion, send the following command to &MYNAMES to
add this person to the list:

.ce ADD &LISTNAME &WHOM &USERNAME

PS: In order to facilitate the task, this message has been specially
formatted so that you only need to forward it back to &MYNAMES and fill
in the password to have the command executed. Note that while the formats
produced by the forwarding function of most mail packages are supported,
[etc.]
--- End ---

You can just use your favorite text editor to edit that, inserting
your own language and deleting Eric's, if you like.  Here's how I
set the one up on my By_Owner list:

--- Begin ---
>>> ADDREQ1 &LISTNAME: &MBX(&WHOM) - Your request to join
.TO &WHOM
.CC &OWNERS
&WEEKDAY, &DATE &TIME

Dear networker,

.fo off
Your subscription request for POLICE-L has been received.
--- End ---

I completely got rid of the default language and inserted my own.  I
changed the message from one addressed to me to one addressed to the
person making the subscription request.  I even told LISTSERV to
send the original to the subscriber and the cc: to me (although this
may only be possible with 1.8b, I can't recall).

RC-LIST MAILTPL will also replace RC-LIST WELCOME, because you can
customize the welcome message, too.  Once you've finished customizing
the RC-LIST MAILTPL, I think you'll have to get one of your LISTSERV
maintainers to set it up correctly in your FILELIST.  But once he's
done that, you need never bother him again.  You can just GET it
and PUT it like any other file, fine tuning the messages as need be.

Good luck with it.

- Alex, list owner of CJUST-L, POLICE-L and SEELANGS
Alex Rudd    ||     |    |  __| John Jay College || [log in to unmask]
ARS KA2ZOO   <>     |    | ( of Criminal Justice <> --=---=---=---=---=--
212 875-6274 ||  __/  __/  ___| City Univ. of NY || *Standard Disclaimer*