Christopher Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:14:48 -0400
We are currently planning/prepping for a *major* jump/move from 1.8d on
Solaris to 15 on SuSE in a VM. So far, the only issues encountered have
been the (already documented at length in various VMWare forums) system
clock issues, which were fairly easily resolved. We will also be
switching MTAs from Sendmail to Postfix -in part because the
/etc/aliases entries have reached an almost unmanageable number (~45k
lines!), and under Postfix, delivery to Listserv can just be the
default. On the HTTPD side, we just moved from an ancient Netscape
server to Apache on the current machine with no issues, and the new
instance will also be running Apache.

Since this is a major jump, we intend to use this as an opportunity to
force all of the list owners to migrate their lists to the new server
via a series of CGI pages, and begin enforcing various policies
regarding list configuration and ownership at the system level.

We're moving as much stuff as possible into VMs both to reduce floor
space consumption, and for business continuity reasons. So far, no major
problems- even with VMs accessing SAN resources, and doing network
backups and restores.

-CW

--
Christopher Wilson