Mon, 9 Oct 2000 23:08:34 -0500
On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Karl Signell wrote:

> No.  A wise listowner would realize that all this geektalk goes over the
> heads of newbies.  Avoid the hassle on both sides by giving an example:

When I have the opportunity, I do.  For example, I don't use Firstname
Lastname, I use Givenname Surname (for some people the Firstname *is*
the Surname) and then give my name (Douglas Winship) as an example of
how to do it (and Douglas ain't my first given name, it's the one I use).
However, there is a lot of boilerplate floating around out there without
explanation (playing Devil's advocate, it has always been there and the
first time I encountered it I knew what it meant and I sure weren't no
computer geek).

> "My username is 'signell' and my Internet provider is 'cpcug.org' so my
> email address is [log in to unmask]".

That has nothing to do with Firstname Lastname. Ignoring that, a great
many people have no idea how their userid nor overall address is being
sent out as and if you try to "add" them (or anything else) by what they
say they think it is, without checking, you may have a guaranteed bouncer.
That one knows the general domain of one's ISP is *no* guarantee as to
one's email address.

But, as I said, this has nothing to do with Firstname Lastname.

Douglas