Mon, 2 Oct 1995 02:56:32 -0500
Some sites establish local "gateways," particularly for "professional
discussion" lists, for local distribution only, supposedly.  Some of
these sites use the name of the list in question as the local
gateway name.  That is what this hypothetical question is about.

We'll say the listname is SOABTRY, and we have some sites (@abc, @def,
@ghi) which use the listname for their gateway sub (i.e. SOABTRY@abc).
This can get confusing for some people as the list is *really* at
XYZ (SOABTRY@XYZ).

So, we tell the people at abc, def and ghi that they can't use the
plain SOABTRY id., they have to put in something which will make it
different, e.g. abc-SOABTRY.  Miracles never cease and they all
agree (if you believe that I've got a number of large lakes I'll sell
at a discount).

So, we've got the problem cleared up for now and want to prevent it
from reoccurring.  Here's the question:

Can the listname be put into the list filters in some manner to
prevent subscribers from using it as a userid?

* FILTER= ALSO,SOABTRY@*

Will that, or some variation, work, or will it screw everything to heck?

Yeah, I know I could put in
* Filter= Also,SOABTRY@abc,SOABTRY@def,SOABTRY@ghi

but that's piecemeal and I'm wondering if the generic will work, but
ain't brave enough to try it.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L