Thu, 28 Jan 1999 01:34:21 -0600
On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Betty Harris wrote:
> Hiya,
> >Russ Hunt had written:
> >> I sure resonate with this:
> >[...Outlook...]
> >> The _problem_ is the people writing that damn software.
> and Michael S. Johnson <[log in to unmask]> responded:
> >Have you considered writing to [log in to unmask] with your complaints?
> >Perhaps if you organize enough public support for changing that default
> >behavior, Microsoft will listen.
>
> That's a great idea!  and I think we should organize and start giving them

Please pardon my cynicism, but I doubt complaints from listowners will
be of any avail.  When I go through the token ritual of asking a software
vendor to fix a known problem in its mail software which gives list fits,
or the postmaster at some site which has a problem, I rather expect to be
ignored, as I almost always am.  That's ok, comes with the job.

There are not enough listowners that their complaints will make the
slightest particle of difference to a behemoth like Macro$.  Same applies
to those putting out stuff originally intended strictly as LAN mail which
has been patched to hobble along for internet mail. Not statistically
significant.

I am one listowner, ignorable.  On the other hand I have an aggregate
subscribership for my lists of 7,000+ , many using the aberrant mail
systems.  If I cna get *them* to complain to the software vendors perhaps
attention will be paid.  Little me?  Forget it.  One or two hundred
listowners? Forget it.  Hundreds of thousands of list subscribers being
cut off from their lists because the listowners refuse to tolerate this
any longer?  Maybe you have something to which they will pay attention.

Douglas