Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 23:43:46 -0600
At 12:21 AM 8/26/98 -0500, Pauline M. Marshall wrote:
>That is great, except when you run into a situation like I have with a
>spare account of mine.  My address is [log in to unmask]  If you mail that
>address, it will get to me.  HOWEVER, listserv insists on subscribing me
>as [log in to unmask]

That is because that is the address your mail program is sending.  It IS
your email address, even though a shorter alias may work.

 If, I were to request to subscribe, and you
>were to mail me at the shorter address, it would get thru, and I would
>respond.....you would subscribe me, and I would be in a possition where I
>couldn't change my own options, or even mail the list if it is set to send
>= private, and would have to whine to you to change every option when I
>wanted them changed.  This is what I want to avoid, with a confirm.  With
>a confirm, it would force me to use the @conman.zoned.net address to
>subscirbe with, and things would be happy and joyful.

Yes, confirms do that.   But the easiest way to do it is just to have a
canned message that tells the bozos how to subscribe and to confirm.  If
they can't handle that, they're probably too dumb to be on your list
anyway......so let them go back to some aol or c$ account and play with the
children.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
[log in to unmask]   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/