John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:44:35 -0400
> Currently the organizations distribution list is over 61,000 subscribers.
> The TOC is sent out once a week. Daily I get 20 email bounces with an
> error report. Weekly I get over 500 email bounces with an error report The
> majority contain the following error is "permanent fatal error".
>
> What is the best method for dealing with the bounce backs?
> Going through them manually takes hours.
> Here is what the deletion is set to in the list header
> * Auto-Delete=Yes,Semi-Auto,Delay(0)

I would change it to:

* Auto-Delete= Yes,Full-Auto,Delay(5),Max(100)

With this setting you will not get any bounced messages. LISTSERV
keeps track of  "fatal" errors per subscriber it can interpret. Non-fatal
errors like "mail box full" will be discarded. If it detects any fatal errors
(per subscriber) they will show on a daily error report sent to you.
If a subscriber has a fatal error 5 days in a row, they will be auto-deleted
and you will be notified. If they have over 100 fatal errors any time within
the 5 days they will be deleted also, it's whichever comes first. So
depending on the volume of your list, you may want to adjust the 100.