Lee Komito <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 Jun 1993 10:46:23 GMT
May I impose for another novice question, this time related to passwords.
In order to alter defaults, etc. in a new list, I submitted a password
request to the listserv with the PW ADD command. It was routed to the
postmaster at the site, and I then received a mail file from listserv:
--------------
Dear networker,

  As  of Tuesday,  June  the 1st  of 1993,  ___ ________ <[log in to unmask]>  has
assigned a password of "XXXXX" to you for use with [log in to unmask] You will need
this password for the Automatic File  Distribution commands. Send an "INFO AFD"
command to [log in to unmask] (or  [log in to unmask]) for more details on
these commands.

Virtually,

   The LISTSERV management
---------------------
However, when I retrived the list, altered a setting, and submitted it
to the listserv, with the PUT LISTNAME LIST PW=xxxxx in the first
line, I got back the message:

Invalid password supplied. Acceptable passwords are: your personal password
(obtained through the "PW ADD" command) and the password of list ______-L.
So, what am I doing wrong? Many thanks,

Lee Komito                       Internet: [log in to unmask]
Dept of Sociology                CREN/Bitnet/Earn: lkomito@irlearn
University College, Dublin       phone: +353 1 706-7106
Belfield, Dublin 4; Ireland      Fax: +353 1 269-4409