"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 24 Nov 1996 11:51:00 EST

Date:    Sun, 24 Nov 96 10:55 EST
From:    "Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: xxxxxx Burps
To:      [log in to unmask]

>Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 13:52:06 -0500 (EST)
>From:                            <              cats.ohiou.edu>
>Subject: xxxxxx Burps
>
>    Dear List Owner,
>
>    Today, November 22, I have been recieving multiple copies of the same
>    messages on the xxxxxx-L list.

Dear Fellow xxxxxx-Lers:

This week proved that many of you miss xxxxxx-L when you don't
get your daily dose.  Likewise, it also proved that many of you
over-dosed too ...

1) for approximately three days, all list mail generated from
   or THROUGH PSUVM to our principle redistribution point
   in the D.C. area was unavailable because of a problem with
   our Internet Service Providor's router in Chicago

2) after that problem was fixed, the tremendous backlog of
   accumulated messages for all list mail caused a secondary
   overflow at that site in D.C. (the LISTSERV developers were
   and are aware of that and has taken steps so that will not
   happened again, as best that they can)

   This overflow caused their system to crash and restart,
   re-mailing some items to you.

PSU personnel had been in contact with each of our service
providors about these problems, once we became aware of
them.

It is our understanding that the problem with the possible
duplicate generation was fixed Friday a.m. EST, though once
the messages were generated, you might not have stopped
processing them until later.

Thank you for your patience.

Many of you contacted the owners directly (thanks).

--  co-owner:   INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, xxxxxx-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
URL:mailto:[log in to unmask]                "I get paid by the millisecond"