Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:04:09 -0400
At 05:58 04/25/2002 Thursday, Martin Helin wrote:
 >I just joined this list and apologize if this question has been covered
 >recently (in which case I will start digging in the digest). I could not
 >find an answer to it in the LISTSERV documentation either.
 >
 >Is there are a way to direct automatic out of office type of replies from
 >list members (to the sender of a message) to the list owner(s), for example?

Not really -- the list software is "out of the loop" at the point at
which the misconfigured receiver's mail client "decides" to auto-ack an OOO.

[A small semantic correction: it is NOT the case that even with properly
working and configured lists that "bounce" mail is necessarily sent to
list owners.  Instead, it is really the result of processing the
ERRORS-TO= list definition keyword which often does go to list-owners BUT
NOT NECESSARILY.  It could just as easily be directed elsewhere.]

/Pete
 >I have been running two lists (now  using version 1.8d) for over 10 years
 >but this is the first time annoyed users (= 2...) would like to get rid of
 >the automatic vacation replies.

You could "force" those malware recipients to DIGEST or INDEX

 >Naturally something can be done on the member side (e-mail client) also but
 >with over 2 000 list members I am very reluctant to start giving any advice
 >on how to configure various e-mail clients so that automatic replies will
 >not be sent to list (senders).

"me too."

/Pete