Charles Oriez <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:40:54 -0700
At 02:18 PM 12/20/2004, you wrote:
>Now, the URL problem apparently has suddenly been dropped, and for every
>message posted to FLORIDABIRDS-L, I am getting an error message for the same
>people as follows: http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlyb1.html
>Somewhere along the way, the same message with the same URL has been sent
>for one cs.com and two wmconnect.com as well.  I surmised these servers are
>subentities under the AOL aegis.  From the page accessed by this URL, it
>appears that they are saying there is a looping problem.

cs.com is compuserv.  wmconnect is wal-mart.  both domains are owned by AOL

I'm not sure where you picked up the looping idea.  they are saying that
enough of their AOL members reported the originating IPA of your list
messages as a spam source that they have listed it, and asked that you
check it for being an open relay. They aren't saying necessarily that your
list messages are being reported as spam, but someone using the same server
as you is sending what AOL members are reporting as spam.

I ran my open relay check on what appears to be your standard IPA
(128.227.128.110) and got negative results. I also checked the anti-spam
sightings list on usenet, and got zero results from that IPA as well as the
entire /24.  Whoever answers [log in to unmask] can tell you whether they've
been getting spam complaints, but all the evidence I looked at says no.

I looked at your list messages archive (which is a separate security hole
that should be fixed) and didn't see instructions in the message footer for
unsubscribing from the list.  One annoyance with AOL members on lists is
their tendency to treat their "report as spam" button as a means to unsub
from lists.  I've documented to AOL that my lists are run as confirmed
optin so AOL doesn't block my stuff.  The list site administrator for UFL
may have to do the same.

--
[log in to unmask] 39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W       AIM handle caoriez
"My perception was/is that while the rest of the computer world was