"Michael S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:56:27 -0700
On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Ben Parker wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 1999 14:07:38 -0400, John Witherspoon <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> >Is there any way to get the &LISTNAME variable to display the list name in
> >lower case?
>
> Alas, no.

But don't despair, John.  There are two possible solutions:

(1) ask american.edu to rename your list's directory with ALL CAPS
(2) ask american.edu to create a symbolic link to your list's directory
    which uses ALL CAPS

What is a symbolic link?  On Unix systems, it is a file system entity
which lets you give a nickname to another file or directory name.

To make a symbolic link called "FOO-L" (no pun intended) point to the
existing file or directory called "foo-l", the Unix command would be

        ln -s foo-l FOO-L

"ln" is the command, "-s" means make the link a symbolic one (there is a
non-symbolic type which is inapplicable to this problem), "foo-l" is the
name of the existing file or directory name, and "FOO-L" is the name you
wish the link to have.  This command would have to be executed in the
parent directory of the "foo-l" directory.

Then your URL to http://.../FOO-L will be equivalent to the URL
http://.../foo-l.  Problem solved.

> listserv.american.edu is running the AIX 'flavor' of unix and on most
> unixes (what is the plural of unix?) server name is not case sensitive
> but the other directories are.  I don't know a way areound this.  8-(

AIX has a "ln" command, so what I described above will work.  The problem
is, you most likely have to ask the system administrator/webmaster of
listserv.american.edu to do this for you.