"Stephen W. Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Jun 1994 15:05:07 -0400
"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> As part of a strategy to reduce traffic, you might try the following
> ploy: with sufficient notice to the subscribers, update the list
> defintion headers so that list replies are defaulted to the sender
> of the original message, and NOT back to the list i.e.,
>
> Reply-To= Sender,Respect

The three of us who co-own a list have been discussing doing precisely
this.  Assuming a list with pretty reasonable people who may not have
detailed technical skills (such as ours), how much trouble can we
expect the subscribers to have with this change?  For those of you who
instituted Reply-To=Sender, was there much belly-aching?  Is there
additional information we can give before we make the change that will
help (such as, "people with X mailer have particular problems with
this, so talk to you local e-mail guru and let us know if you can't
find out how to get mail to go to the list when you want it to"
perhaps)?

I worry because there might be such a strong assumption that replies
to listmail go back to the lists that when that assumption fails
(replies only go to the author) there could be rude shocks.  True, the
"sufficient notice" is intended to prevent those shocks.  But to the
uninitiated, this header stuff doesn't make sense, so I'll just delete
it...

I'd particularly like pointers to your archives if your notice prevented
many problems. :-)

En paz,
Steve, co-owner, Quaker-L and Quaker-P
--
Stephen W. Thompson, U. of PA, Data Administration, 215-898-1236
E-mail (MIME): [log in to unmask] -OR- [log in to unmask]