Michael Quinion <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 09:28:09 +0100
Hotmail became an acute issue for me last weekend (I send out just
one weekly newsletter, from [log in to unmask],
so have rather a coarse-grained view of the problem). For the past
month, a rising proportion of newsletters have bounced, all with the
same error (but from varying Hotmail mail server IP addresses):

> Connected to 65.54.254.140 but sender was rejected.
> Remote host said: 554 Transaction failed

Last Saturday this error occurred with 690 out of my 1200 subscribers
on Hotmail.

Hotmail support does not reply to messages. Failing any information
on the cause of the problem or a possible solution, I have written to
all my subscribers, suggesting they move to another system; many now
have. Is there anything else useful I can do?

Any advice would be very welcome. I approach wit's end ...

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words