Eric Paul-Hus <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 22:40:16 -0800
Bon Matin,

Since more than one seems to have this problem (I don't Blues alas! is
not so popular ;-) I'll give you the following idea

in the header:
either:
Send=Private
Editor=Your_addres
or:
Send=Editor,Hold
Editor=Your_addres, (LISTNAME)
and:
default-options=REVIEW,... you current setting
Renewal=Monthly (or Weekly) ...

QUIET SET list REVIEW FOR *@*."gremlin".COM

where "gremlin" is AOL, JUNO, HOTMAIL or any other "problem" domain ...

You will then be able to "OK" post, if the user is not a "gremlin" user
then QUIET SET list NOREVIEW for that user ... If they post sh*t then
QUIET SET list NOREVIEW NOPOST and you won't have to REVIEW their
mischief again ... If a user post sh*t (they may be gentle to get in and
then turn on you) don't delete them just QUIET SET list NOPOST. The
renewal process will do the clean-up ...

So in the end you will have to REVIEW the first post of anyone and then
every post from "suspected gremlin site" ( and if you go with the
self-moderation Editor=you,(LISTNAME) every post from non-sub'ers). Only
can tell if the workload will be bearable ... On my list about 1/3 of
600 US subscribers are on AOL but maybe 10 or 20 of them posts regularly

It can be very feasible if the volume of "posts" (withstanding the
number of users) coming from those addres is low ... OK 10-20 posts a
days will take minutes ...  Now if they post URLs you'll have to check
them first :-) ...

What this will do I think is deprive the "gremlin" from the *pleasure*
of havoc and attention... Just don't answer if they complain ;-) and if
they do you have a chance of finding out who they are since they'll wait
your answer with the same "screen name" ...

The only danger is that they get personal and decide to "attack" you
account ... But from what I heard in most cases wher you deprive them of
*attention" they just move on to another list ... or Usenet :-)

Come to think of it, in fact, I.m almost glad Blues is not so popular
:-)

There is other ways to protect your list but I think this would prove
effective and be worth the extra work ...

Opinions, comments, anyone ?

If the majority of the traffic comes from those site then it is evident
that full moderation is the way to go ...

--
Eric Paul-Hus, BLUES-L