Wed, 12 Jun 2002 00:42:08 -0500
On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Bill Blinn wrote:
> P> Mailer mx.OZEMAIL.COM.AU said: "554 Mail blocked by spam filter"
>
> Yes, that's what I'm seeing. We have only 3 subscribers from that
> forlorn excuse for an ISP, so the situation isn't too bad. On the
> other hand, if we had more subscribers at that ISP, they might be able
> to apply some pressure. One is threatening non-payment until they fix
> it.

Well, there are all kinds of "spam" and "virus" filters out there, some
of which go by, oh, the subject line contains numeral's, or ...

And then there are those filters which look for "naughty" words (discussing
on a library list the proper classification of a work which contains, as
part of the title, the word "nigger",  ("RacialDiscrimination" error) or
the word(s) "porn" (pornography) ("Other" error) (only reason the term came
up is we were talking about stupid filters that don't, and can't, know
context. You show me an AI filter and I'll show you a program constructed
by a bigot.

Such filters are to be constructed by the individual, not the creator(s) of
some program(s) who know(s) what is best for everyone else, even if such
filters are created at the behest of "legislators" (panderers?) who are
"protecting" the people.

Douglas