"Peter C.S. Adams 7-5263" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 19:46:37 EST
Ingrid H. Shafer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The performance of Netscape seems to depend on the version and on
> the system on which it is installed. When I run it on from my home
> in Windows 3.1 on a 486/33 IBM Thinkpad with 8megs RAM I have no
> problems whatsoever (plus a 28,800 modem); when I use the university
> system with a workstation networked to a VAX and Ethernet I have to
> reboot several times an hour.

It also depends on the OS. I run it for weeks at a time on a Mac
networked to a Vax via ethernet with no problem. Windown 95 seems to
handle resources better then 3.x, and both Netscape and ethernet are
resource eater.  Here at UMass we're having a lot of problems with
Netscape on PCs.

Pressing the Back button retrieves a page from the cache, so hard drive
problems could also be an issue.

|  And the #1 thing you can do to help the  |        Peter C.S. Adams      |
|  environment is ... become a vegetarian.  |    Univ. of Mass. at Boston  |
|             Ask me why!                   |     co-listowner, PAGEMAKR   |