Julia LaBua <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:07:03 -0500
On 9/21/06, Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 9/20/2006 20:01, Pat Letendre wrote:
>
> Why not vet them before they are added to the list? Configure the list as
> sub-by-owner list, so all subscription requests are forwarded to you for
> approval. Modify the template for the message which informs the requester
> that
> his/her request has been forwarded to the owner for approval to include a
> questionnaire with instructions which state that the questionnaire must be
> completed and returned to the list owner address (
> listname-request@yourlisthost)
> before the request can be approved. At that point, the ball is back in the
> potential subscriber's court. If he/she has a legitimate reason and
> sufficient
> desire to join the list, he/she will complete and return the
> questionnaire.

That's a great idea, Paul, and one I will suggest that we implement for the
future. It would be helpful to us in a number of ways, because we have a
couple of different lists depending on geographic location (i.e., a local
list that sends out event announcement that people can attend, and a global
list for people who just want to keep up with our news and who don't have
the ability to come to our events), so a short little questionnaire (only a
couple of questions, really) could help up make sure that they are
subscribed to the proper list in order for it to be most useful to them.

Julia

--
Julia LaBua, Intern
The University of Iowa Center for Human Rights