Wed, 11 Jun 1997 15:04:59 +1000
On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Adam Bailey wrote:

> On 6/10/97 10:03 PM, David M wrote...
>
> > This means that people such as maintainers can trace which passwd owner's
> > use for their lists.
>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point here, as I'm not a list maintainer.
> But is there any reason a list maintainer shouldn't have access to your
> password? If you can't trust the person who runs your LISTSERV, who can
> you trust?

Yes they can have access to the resources that my password gives me but
they should not know what my personal password is as I might use it for
other purposes too.  For example in UNIX the root accout has access to any
service and can login to as any account in the system.  Nevertheless,
despite having access to this information the root does not know each
individual's password (unless he hacks the encrypted passwd file!).

Well at least this is my opinion on the subject... :)

Cheers!

Dave