John Buckman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 15:53:38 +0000
> Although, you have not used any information that has not been available
> via the Listserv facilities, you have now made this information highly
> visable(yes I know that was the objective).

Of course, the idea is to make LISTSERVs (and the Internet) easier to
use.

> They may decide that they would prefer the list to become
> confidential.

Or they may want to restrict contributions to the list to members
only.

> Is the information held updated dynamically ? i.e. If I change the
> status of a list does it get updated and when ?

Yes and no.  It is a batch update process that involves about 1 hour
of my time, and I was planning on redoing it at least every two
weeks.  TILE currently runs on non-Unix platforms (windows, os2, nt)
and so I need to do the conversion on PCs, tar the results and
upload them.  When TILE runs on Unix (3-5 months) I'll be able to
have the site updated automatically.  The basic process is this:
get the latest data into InfoMagnet, export the "smarter" data to
Lotus Notes, and then use TILE to convert the Notes database to
HTML.

> Also, for the record it would be helpful to know how you obtain the
> list details. i.e. Exactly, which header fields you use to produce
> Subscribers, Archive searching etc.

All the data comes from Eric's lists.data and servers.data file - so
I'll have to leave it to him to answer this.

> That said, tile.net's interface is very interesting and looks like
> a lot of hard work went into it.

The listserv site wasn't that difficult - a few day's work combining
various pieces together.  TILE took 9 months development, and
InfoMagnet has been worked on since January 1994, so that's where
most of the work went in :)

John

John Buckman     [log in to unmask]     (301) 718-7840
Walter Shelby Group Ltd. - Internet Software Publishers
http://tile.net/   &  http://www.shelby.com/pub/shelby/