Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Jan 1995 18:41:31 +0100
On Tue, 17 Jan 1995 12:27:59 EST Mike Ramundo <[log in to unmask]> said:

>As someone who  does both (secondary) listowner and  postmast tasks from
>the same ID, I constantly have problems with the FOR phrase in commands
>-
>if I am acting as postmast for one of my users at a remote site, the FOR
>phrase MUST come first, otherwise it  seems my ID is checked against the
>owners of  the list  as soon  as the  command portion  is parsed  and my
>command is rejected because  I am not an owner of the  list - it appears
>to not 'see' the FOR phrase unless  it comes first. Can anyone spell out
>the precise rules/differences when using FOR as postmast/listowner.

The rule is very  simple: YOU MUST NEVER PUT THE  FOR PHRASE FIRST. There
is a command called FOR which is  what is executed when you type 'FOR JOE
SIGNOFF...' This command  is intended (1) for debugging  purposes (ie for
me) and (2)  if you absolutely, positively have to  fake a command coming
in  from another  user, for  instance if  the user  claims he  is getting
message X when  he does Y and you  don't believe him. If you  use the FOR
command for any legitimate, non-debugging  purpose, there is a better way
to do it at best, and in  the worst case you're doing something wrong. As
the  postmaster, you  are the  implicit owner  of all  the lists  on your
machine. If you're not recognized as such, it's a different problem.

  Eric