Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Aug 1995 21:54:04 +0200
On Fri, 11 Aug 1995 15:29:45 -0400 Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Frankly, if  I were a  spammer and lurked around  here to pick  up handy
>dandy tips, I might just start  concentrating on listproc and the others
>instead ... Or do they also have spam-o-meters?

They  don't, but  then they  don't  really have  a list  of lists.  Well,
ListProc sort of has one, but it's manually maintained, and the last time
I checked it was like 5000 BITNET lists and 500 actual ListProc lists.

>Still, sooner  or later  some spammer  will figure  out how  Eric Thomas
>rigged the thing and will bypass it.

Probably,  but  then  I'll  just  improve the  code.  Most  spammers  are
technically  clueless and  the only  thing they  care about  is how  many
people they  can reach. LISTSERV  subscribers aren't more likely  to send
$50 to Olga  than Majordomo subscribers or usenet  readers. Bypassing the
spam code isn't easy, so why bother?  You can spam people with a lot less
effort using other media.

  Eric