Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Jul 1995 22:07:48 -0500
On Fri, 30 Jun 1995 08:49:15 +0200, Eric Thomas wrote:
>But, of  course, lawyers not being  stupid, I doubt that  the lawyer will
>agree to  sue in the first  place. This would  be at best a  long lawsuit
>since there is no  clear-cut case. He would need to ask  for 7 figures to
>make it worth his  while. I'm no expert but can one  really ask that much
>for that kind of stuff? There was no tangible damage after all.

Net.kook almost without doubt would need to find a contingency fee
attorney.  Such an attorney would have to believe it possible to obtain a
settlement of at least 6 figures in order for 1/3 of it to represent an
adequate fee for the trouble.

I expect the right of the owner of a medium to 'edit' content is well
enough established that no one competent enough to pass a bar exam would
believe filing an action would be worthwhile.

What does net.kook do it the university claims the filing is a frivolous
action and counter sues?  Since net.kook probably doesn't have "deep
pockets" the counter-suit might reasonably be filed against kook's attorney
(who probably would recognize that and think better of the whole idea in
the first place).

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (203) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (203) 486-5246 fax