Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 17:13:43 GMT
On Sat, 22 Mar 1997 20:49:33 -0500, Philip Wirtz <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I need to set up a list consisting of faculty members who are subscribed
>by the owner.  The tricky part seems to be setting the list up to allow
>certain additional (non-faculty) addresses to post email (of
>announcements) to the list, but not to be able to receive email from the
>list.

Seems a little odd.  You could perhaps (depends on the details of how
faculty email addresses differ from non-faculty) define a
Service=xxx.yyy.edu in the header, which would effectively limit the list.

The better solution to permit the posting, but ensure non-reading would be
to have the non-faculty send their info to a desginated list member (or
you the Owner) for re-posting to the list.  Thus the actual post to the
list is done by a valid member.  The info still get distributed, but they
can't read anything.

There are several commands you might SET they cannot override, such as
REVIEW or NOPOST, but those are designed to limit their ability to post to
the list, not to limit their ability to read from the list.  The only way
to do this is to not allow them to be members, but to setup a conduit for
the information to be posted.
 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]