Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Mar 2017 11:39:51 -0500
From: "Jane Gehan"

> Hello, We are running postgrey on our incoming email servers, except the
> listserv server. We are planning to begin using this on our listserv
> server
> soon. We will either share a grey list database with our other servers, or
> set one up for use exclusively by the listserv server.
>
> Has anyone done this?  Any tips as to the best way to move forward?

My experience is with a different grey-list program rather than Postgrey.
But I looked up a description of its operation, and it seems to be based on
the same approach.

The one problem I have seen, as a list owner, is when a contributor to the
list uses a mail system that can send OR RE-SEND a message from different IP
addresses. When this happens, the message can be blocked for an
inconveniently long time, with each attempt to submit it rejected because it
doesn't match the information in the database from previous tries.

This does not appear to be very common. I have hundreds of subscribers and
only one--unfortunately, a major contributor--whose mail often gets delayed
for hours. But his organization seems to have contracted for email service
through Microsoft. It comes to us from a wildly variable range of IP
addresses, all identified as in the outlook.com domain. As far as I can
tell--I've been exchanging messages with his email administrators--there is
no way to get the retries to be submitted from the same IP address as the
original attempt.

You should probably be aware this can happen, and plan for an appropriate
response to any complaints.

Hal Keen