Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:32:03 -0400
At 09:14 AM 9/17/98 -0400, you wrote:

>DEL listname NETNEWS@*AMERICAN.EDU
>
>This should stop:
>
>1) your list from sending the NETNEWS gateway any messages
>
>2) the newsgroup from actually distributing any messages to the list

Are you sure about (2)?  Seems like the postings show up as being
from the individual poster, not from American....  (I actually
don't know for sure because the list where we have had the most
concern with this is Send=Public....  But they sure -look- like
they're from the individual posters!)

One approach being tried around here is the above step -plus-
change the address of the list, tell subscribers they MUST use the
new address, and then we send anything with the old address to
a bit bucket.  In our case that is not as drastic as it sounds since
we were moving to a new system anyway.  :-)  Otherwise, to change
the address I guess we'd have had to change the name of the list.
We also set up a gateway to the new address with Newsguy.

Margaret King ([log in to unmask])
Michigan State University