Douglas Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 22:45:47 -0400
On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Winship wrote:

> > 2) Approvals for those on REVIEW now come in as mime messages,  and to
> > us are harder to read.
>
> While my two questions were not specifically addressed, your item 2 is
> something I have been worrying about.  From the release notes, and comments
> from Eric, it seems I may have problems with Pine, which is what I use,

I use Pine here and this is not a problem for us. Two changes that are
driving us a bit batty are both related to MIME though.

First -- if an MTA bounces a message and includes the original message as
a MIME attachment, then the bounce message is sent to the list. Ouch. What
a pain. Luckily, content filtering for this is trivial, so we have a way
around it.

Second, and more problematic for us -- the LISTSERV ignores the last line
in a MIME body segment so that if a command is sent to the LISTSERV and
the user does not hit enter at the end of the line (or his/her MUA does
not do it automatically for him -- like Outlook), then the user will get
back a message that there was no command in the message. We are constantly
fighting this problem and users have not been real quick to realize why
their commands are rejected. You cannot fix the message to let them know
about this limitation either (though we did add it to our welcome messages
and FAQs and this has helped some).

On balance, the content filtering alone was worth the upgrade from 1.8d.
There are times when we see 30% of posts to some of our lists OO creft.
Not any more.

Not on topic with your post. Apologies.

-- DCP

--
Douglas Palmer              |   Voice: 718-260-2291  Fax: 718-260-2338
SystemsManager, USDC-EDNY   |   rm -rf /bin/laden