Garrie Burr <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:07:38 CST
Mike Holloway ([log in to unmask]) said:
>I run a list that many ill and anxious people rely on for support, advice,
>and news. Distribution of this list, TRNSPLNT, has been blocked for 24 hours
>now.  Delays of up to 5 days have not been uncommon over the last several
>years, and several day shut downs strike at least once a month...

>I have some questions about what a listowner can do to gather information
>about the source of the trouble when things like this occur.  Even if it
>can't be fixed right away, some news and assurance that the problem is being
>fixed can be passed on to my subscribers.  Is it possible to trace
>distribution, and what command should I send to find out if any particular
>node is not active?...

I'm also, of course, interested in these questions.  The first I knew of
the problem was when Mike notified me via email.  The only errors I've
seen on POSTMAST or LISTMGR regarding his list were two rejected attempts
by our system to notify two senders that their postings were distributed to
TRNSPLNT.   Neither sender was a subscriber.

The list is not in hold and it is not locked.  Any other ideas?  I'm
trying to find out from Mike if _any_ of his subscribers have received
mail in this timeframe, or if the 'block' has occurred only in
certain areas.

For the future:

Is there something I can add to my regular routine to check on
distribution outside our site?  Presently, throughout the day,
I check the error messages, make sure the various machines are up
and running and that their queues are emptying at a reasonable rate.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

--Garrie Burr ([log in to unmask])
  Washington University in St. Louis
  Administrative Information Systems